Freezing temperatures are here. What can you do to protect your pool equipment during a freeze? Here are a few tips to help you out during a hard freeze.
- Make certain the main pool pump is running continuously while the temperature is below freezing. You should have a freeze protection device that will automatically turn the pump on when the temperature drops to around 34 degrees. A freeze protector will keep your pool running as long at the temperature remains close to freezing. A quick visual check will be in order the next time the temperature drops to around 34. If the pool does not turn itself on, I recommend you call for service as soon as possible to have the issue resolved.
- Make sure the pool is clean. If your skimmers and main drain get blocked with leaves and other debris that can cause the pump not to move enough water to prevent freezing. Even though its cold outside, don’t forget to clean the skimmer baskets daily if necessary.
- Maintain the proper water level. If the water level gets too low your skimmers will run dry and cause the pump to lose prime. If this happens there will be no water movement through the pool equipment and the plumbing is certain to freeze.
- Remove and drain plug or open the hose bib on the backwash line. Backwash lines have a tendency to retain water in them. If not drained, they can freeze and break.
- To protect the pool itself, throw a couple of logs or pieces of wood directly into the pool. This will allow for expansion should the surface of your pool freeze. This will add a level of protection to your skimmers and tile line.
If Your Lose Electrical Power for an Extended Period of Time
In the event you lose power to your house, don’t forget about the pool equipment! Remove all drain plugs from every piece of equipment on the system i.e. pumps, filter and heater. As soon as possible, we suggest you cover the pool equipment with tarps and blankets. This may provide you with just enough protection to keep the equipment and plumbing from freezing.
About Dolphin Pool Supply and Service
Dolphin Pool Supply is an employee-owned company which has been in the business of swimming pool supply and services since 1957. Dolphin Pool Supply values customers as the most important asset of the business taking their every need with high regard to ensure client satisfaction.
Dolphin Pool Supply provides swimming pool supplies and services in Dallas and Flower Mound.
For more Dallas Pool Service and Supply tips, subscribe to their blog and YouTube Channel or ‘Like’ them on Facebook. For information about Dallas Pool Service, Maintenance, Renovations and more contact Dolphin Pool Supply Today!